Mango(col)lapse – The Duke of Wellington Bites the Dust

| January 3, 2011 | 467 Comments | 49,822 views

Update. 3/28/2013

The Duke of Wellington was sold to new owners and now operates under the name of  The Pintsman.

Congratulations to the new owner and best wishes on running a successful restaurant at the old location of The Duke of Wellington.

——————————————-

1/1/2011

An anonymous reader reported that the Duke of Wellington—Crown Jewel of the Mango Empire,  has closed and been abandoned.

The doors are locked, the furniture and fixtures have been torn out, and the interior has been gutted.

Looters have even stripped some of the nice wood off the exterior facade.

As usual, BigBabyKenny.com has the exclusive photos.

For the casual readers, the Duke of Wellington was a Silom English Pub bankrolled by the original owner’s of The Big Mango and a frequently self proclaimed billionaire Petroleum Engineer.

The Duke was rumored to have been bleeding money after internal political turmoil and the world wide recession forced the Thai tourist industry onto life support.

The owners and primary investor have always maintained publicly that the Duke was earning a handsome return on their investment.

Alleged, although, never confirmed the Duke was initially opened at a cost in excess of $200,000 USD and never really got off the ground.

The lease was renegotiated to lower the monthly rent, some minor improvements were made, and The Duke of Wellington was publicly advertised for sale in the Fall of 2009.

This is the original internet listing for the sale.

Bangkok English Pub Listing ID# BKK13705
8,500,000THB
BUSINESS SUMMARY

(UPDATE!)  A porch with an awning has recently been added at the front of the pub.  The new lease has now been signed with rent reduced to 447,000 baht per month, which is all inclusive as before.) This well patronised English Pub sits in the heart of Bangkok. The pub has four large screen televisions and a digital projector for watching sport. A full menu is provided, including snacks, English food, Thai food, and desserts. Apart from draft beer the pub offers a large selection of imported and domestic bottled beers, while also serving a wide range of cocktails, fine whiskies, coffees and a selection of wines by the glass and bottle. Well established, the enterprise is roomy enough to accommodate up to 130 customers as it has floor space measuring roughly 230 square metres.

Average monthly net profits of approximately 75,000 baht are currently being garnered, but financial results have been on the increase over the last couple of years (receipts increased from 14,400,000 baht in 2007 to 16,800,000 baht in 2008). So far early results in 2009 have seen receipts average approximately 1,260,000 baht per month. Assets worth 6,000,000 baht will be included in the sale, along with an inventory of stock that is normally worth in the region of 350,000 baht. Monthly rent totals 537,672 baht (which includes rent, service, storage rental, air-conditioning costs, power, water and gas bills) but is due to decrease when a new lease is signed in November (now signed, see update above). The other significant expense is the monthly wage bill, which totals 150,000 baht per month for 15 full time employees.

The owners currently have a few other business ventures in Thailand and would like to spend more of their time on these other businesses. The pub was managed until recently by a very experienced bar manager who has just recently moved back to England, meaning additional time is now being spent on the management and marketing of the bar, thereby detracting from the owners’ other businesses and forcing them to come to a decision to sell the bar. The bar enjoys a steady stream of new and regular customers but needs management and marketing attention to continue its growth. Asking price: 8,500,000 baht.

No buyer or sale was ever publicly announced or confirmed and given that the interior has been torn out, most likely one was never found.

The lease most likely expired or was abandoned and the landlord is preparing the space for a new leaseholder.

One can only speculate that the owners and investors lost their initial investment plus more as the bar bled money month after month as the prospects of a sale dwindled.

Retired blogger Werewolf wrote this review of the Duke of Wellington in April of 2008 and maybe it serves as a fitting epithet.

Located on a very busy section of Silom Road is one of the best-run pubs in Bangkok: The Duke of Wellington. An English Pub, the Duke is managed by a real Englishman — Mark — who previously ran Robin Hood near Phrom Phong BTS station on Sukhumvit Road.

The Duke has a very nice decor, with comfortable heavy wooden tables & chairs, as well as leather-padded benches along the wall opposite the bar. For people who are alone, or in a casual mood, there is a long table with stools. It is usually occupied by men or women reading the newspaper or working on laptop computers (the Duke offers free wireless access).

This stretch of Silom Road is a business area, and the Duke is a businessman’s pub.

Happy Hour runs from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. every weeknight & all day on the weekends, and on Wednesdays you can drink pints of Tiger beer all night at a price of 80 baht each (Monday is Heineken night and Tuesday Guiness night).

With a well-trained service staff, an excellent food menu offering large portions of Western & Thai food day and night, attractive drink prices and very comfortable surroundings, the Duke of Wellington has been one of my favorite meeting points since it opened in January this 2007.

I went in with a new friend a few month ago. He had visited the pub before, but only around four in the afternoon when it is quiet. Arriving at 7:30 pm, with happy hour in full swing, my friend was impressed with everything he saw and tasted.

The Duke had recently added live music to the mix. A Thai man with a guitar and a good sound system started playing tunes around 8 p.m. Unlike many Thais singing English songs, he knew all of the words and sang clearly. I was sitting with my back to him, and at one point he sang a Jim Croce tune. It sounded so much like Croce that I thought that he’d gone on break and that a CD was playing. I was wrong. Anyone who mourns Croce need mourn no longer — he’s been reborn in Thailand as a local guitar-picker.

All the food on the menu is good, but my personal favorite is the Big Duke Burger; a large beef patty served with cheese, bacon, a fried egg and all the trimmings. You can choose between English-style thick-cut chips or American shoe-string fries.

For a comfortable happy hour dinner with friends, or a relaxed business lunch I figure you can’t go past the Duke of Wellington.

Even a 5 star rating from Bangkok’s most notorious celebrity blogger was not enough to make The Duke of Wellington profitable in today’s difficult business environment.

R.I.P.

BigBabyKenny

Comments (467)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

1. Prufrock says:

I am truly amazed by some of these imbeciles who actually state and then conclude that because
    they wouldn’t be surrounded by supoorters that they would find it burdensome to investigate
    truths and  realities related what has happened to their country.

They either all seem content to allow the bullshit to prevail or even more disgusting they’re fearful of
    McDee’s doing a web-search and finding they’d participated in a move for re-investigation if 9/11.

So (lemme get this right)  . . . . .  If you don’t have some sort of quorum? . . . . . . . . ineluctable facts
    whichwould  lead to truth and healing  . . . . . . . these truths must be ignored?
    Is that what floats your little Zodiacs?
    Well that is a truly luscious glop of cowardice you’ve landed up in isn’t it?
    A quorum of the gutless, is it?

What a silly pack of cowardly nitwits.

Confirmation that you people indeed deserve one another’s company.

But whyancha stay over there in your cesspit . . . huh? okay?
    Well I’ll tell you why:
    I maintain (and I’ve demonstrated) that there’s only a few of you and
    you get bored with each other petty quick doncha.

That last thing is pretty well a laydown.

Oh and @ daffy, the frantic knitter of socks and sewer of buttons  . . . . . I’m sorry about the
    spelling mistake. I know how this sort of thing upsets a queef-sniffing goof of your pedigree.

So, tell me, just what is it that  you stand for you maggot infested splooge of monket sputem?

2. Van Haagendaaz says:

Come on – where’s your next pathetic piece of shit reply?
    Cos we’re all on tenderhooks..
    FUCK OF YOU GOATS (Daffy, Big Dummy, SBOTKU, Gulliver, Pattaya Ghost – just a few I fucking named)

3. Van Haagendaaz says:

p.s
    Peace to Pmmp and Smitty – they’re long long gone out of this issue.

4. Sockpuppet #69 says:

The reason Nicholas Dattoma and Michael Francis Smith of BEA/Oracle and Yahoo are long long gone is because their money is long long gone and they were forced to leave Bangkok to get a job.

Hahahahahahahahaha!

5. Young Penfold. Steve Green says:

No I am not a homosexual.
    I fuck horny office girl sluts with apartments on soi 22 for FREE!
    How can a hip dude like me who fuck horny office girl sluts with apartments on soi 22 for FREE be homosexual?
    Yes I fuck girls that you can’t fuck.
    Yes I am THAT COOL!
    Don’t you wish you could be ME?
    Hahahahahahahahahahaha!

6. Young Penfold. Steve Green says:

Oh Yeah.
    I get so drunk I forget which bar I am in.
    Don’t you wish you could get so drunk you forget where you are?
    I am so cute and cool aren’t I?
    Thats why the horny office girl sluts with apartments on soi 22 fuck me for FREE!
    And no. I am not a homosexual.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

7. Young Penfold. Steve Green says:

Whoops. Forgot to mention I also fuck ugly girls from tagged without a condom.
    That is because I am SOOOOOOO not homosexual I will fuck anything with a pussy.
    And I am so cool, I’ll call them sluts, whores, and ugly in my BigMango posts.
    I am that cool.
    Don’t you wish you were me?

Hahahahahahahahahahaha!

8. Young Penfold. Steve Green says:

Jesus Christ I forgot to mention the horny office girl sluts with the apartment on soi 22 who fucks me for FREE also went to Chula university?
    Are you convinced I am cool and not homosexual yet?

Hahahahahahahahahahaha!

9. Prufrock says:

There’s at least two people trolling her from that crowd  . . .  .. .  . yeah. All of two.

Anyway, thanks Van

Yeah, that’s pretty well it, I’m sad to say.

See?  The instant I proove, illustrate or demonstrate that daffy is a wannabe internet bully
    he then waddles over here and smears  me with the ‘role  of (you guessed it) “internet bully”.

daffy’s pathetic >>”for the uninformed” is back to Rhetoric 101 and his <<  . . . (and BTW you dullard, “the play” is mine.)
    Are you so bereft of style that you must resort to stealing from those who attempt a little ?? But yes I am a kind of “fuck you” speller.
    So. You can suck that up.

If you bother reading his childish propaganda, daffy seeks to position you (as reader) so that  if you don’t feel obliged to smear
    me the way this fat self-important coward does, you must see yourself as “uninformed”.
    See how he does it??
    Check it out.
    How would you like to be in conversation with an asshole who expressed himself liek this any time he was out of evidence or devoid of reason?
    I mean, this  lying fuck knows I drink sparingly . . . . . actually, everyone knows that but (what the hell) there he his
    smearing me as a drunk because I can’t be bothered to spellcheck my posts on this site.
    daffy, really, you are such an old lady.

Clearly, for daphne, a “bully” is someone who’s not cowed by his jive-ass bullshit and who’s more than
    happy to make him look stoopid again, and again and again.  (watch, soon we’ll see the fin-assed doofster
    using “jive” hehe  hehe)
    The fool can’t even come up with his own material or his own style.   He has to come over here to plagiarize it.

Does anybody still give a shit  about this fool???
    Let’s have a Bkk-buddy-style role call then and see just who could care less about this sack of shit.

As for the little bar?
    I stopped going there.
    Anybody connected with that bar who knows me understands why.
    It’s not really for the internet.

But you daffy? you??
    Why don’t you just fuck off for a beach vacatuion in Sendai  . . great holday atmosphere there.
    Ooops there’s another spelling mistake.

And again . . .  . please . . . . .  daffy . .  . .  go fuck yourself, willya? .

10. Prufrocks Gay Manlover says:

‘There’s at least two people trolling her from that crowd’

Make that three loverboy.

Everyome needs to understand that Pru-Pru and I have a love hate relationship

I love him when he gets an enema before our man love sessions.

I hate it when his teeth scrape my cock during our mutual oral sessions.

So he literally doesn’t suck as much as the Mango

11. Prufrocks Gay Manlover says:

Pru-pru, you said ‘supoorters’ up there. What are ‘supoorters’? Do you have poo on the brain again after unfortunate last episode? How many time must I say i’m sorry! Boooo-hooooo-hooooo-hoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

12. kenny the bore says:

thought about a few things. trying to come up with new material. it aint easy cause im not that smart. walked around campus. shitty weather today. maybe i should become a lawnkeeper. i like green grass. it makes me happy cause i can pretent the grass is money and literlally roll in it. i had money once but lost it all in the thai stock market and in thai land deals. i was a player then. the whores of soi cowboy loved me. now i go off the reservations because i have no options. im bored. maybe i can call prufrock and talk to him. hes good for a laugh of too. he may not be home yet because hes still out chasing whores like i once did. i miss those days and the days of my whore blog…maybe i can slowly transform this back to a whore blog if those damn asian study women cunts would stop looking over my shoulder. im going back to my office and take a nap.

13. Bronze Goat says:

I will crush you.

14. Bronze Goat says:

Prufrock isn’t chasing whores. He’s over on Patpong Soi 4 chasing girls with cocks. The sick faggot fuck. Isn’t that right Prufrock?

15. Things are changing says:

Anyone seen the Mango lately?
    Shit load of construction going on.  Is it sold?

16. Mango Tango Big Bango says:

Yes, the Mango is Sold to a group of California Econ teachers.

17. UNREAL LAFFY TAFFY says:

Econ teachers bought the Big Mango. That’s what I heard too

All for 500K US dollars.

Guess Kenny decided to put his theory into practice.

Guess Graham made his 300K back plus a little.

18. Cricket says:

I was at the start of Soi 4 and a man said follow your nose past NEP, past the big mango bar, and the Ibis is only a couple hundres meters beyond. I found the Ibis but 5 days later I’m yet to find the big mango bar. Where the hell is it?

chirp chirp

19. NEP Go-Go Girl says:

It’s taken this long because your fucking legs are too short you stupid gryllidae. Now go hide under a blade of grass before you wind up on a bug cart in front of Nana Plaza.

20. Laughing boy says:

Kenny,  when are you going to do a follow up story about the Duke of Wellington re-opening?
    It wasnt abandoned as you said.  As said by the readers, the building was shut down for civil works.
    Now the pub is open.  Albeit a new name – but it’ the SAME owner and the SAME staff.
    Egg on your face you fucking idiot!

21. Wake up and smell the coffee says:

Laughing Boy, Kenny won’t make any correction because he is part gook-a-monkey and anything that may cause him to lose face ain’t gonna happen. Sit back and watch the spam and the idiots on the Keith Summers thread arguing about nothing.

22. yep says:

The Duke is Back
    Kenny isn’t saying shit about it, the yellowbelly blowhard.

23. yep says:

The Duke is BackKenny isn’t saying shit about it, the yellowbelly blowhard.

24. End Of Story says:

That’s because if he says anything the current crop of readers will realize how everything he writes about is bullshit.

End Of Story

25. I Wanna Know says:

Kenny oh Kenny Where did you get this bullshit?  I was at the Duke yesterday and for a closed and abandoned business it was doing bonus trade.
    You really aren’t clued in on things in Thailand are you?  According to another website I see your current employment may be soon coming to an end.  You should  consider moving to Thailand so you actually have a clue about the things you write.

26. ronru says:

Hahaha! Hehehe! Hohoho!

27. SEO Monster says:

Nicholas Dattoma and Michael Francis Smith are brothel owners and human traffickers.
    END OF STORY

28. Shiner says:

I Wanna Know – I tried to comment about this but Kenny decided to censor it. If you want to see my reply I posted over on the Big Dummy Kenny blog.

Guess someone here thinks that by putting a no censorship tagline people will buy into the hype. Nope. That’s why this blog is all but dead.

You’re a giant twat Kenny!

29. Mundie says:

For an object lesson in what happens when a blog administrator abandons all responsibility for managing comments refer to the BigBabyKenny blog.

30. Cricket says:

chiiiirp, chiiiiiiiiiiiiiiirp, chiiiirp!

31. Cricket says:

chïïïïrp, chïïïïrp, chïïïïrp!!!!

32. Cricket says:

chiiiirp, chiiiiiiiiiiiirp, chiiiirp, chiiiirp, chiiiiiiiiiiiirp, chiiiiiiiiiiiirp!

33. Board says:

The Duke is still in business.

34. Board says:

Suggestion for you

Check your sources instead of relying on a report by an “anonymous reader”.

35. Well says:

Old news

36. crickets says:

chirrrrrrrrrpppppppppppp

chirrrrrrrrrpppppppppppp

37. pin drop says:

ting

38. Observation says:

Looks very open…

… and very new and renovated. I thought that place was out of business? Is anything accurate on this blog? The owner and author doesn’t seem to research any of his subject matter very much, does he?

39. Pulitzer Prize Winning Journalist says:

@Observation.
    In case you didn’t notice, the picture you referenced was taken January 14, 2008.

40. Observation says:

Indeed. Just like this one:

I guess I was mistaken.

So, how is the Duke of Wellington pub doing, then, nowadays?

41. Your Bangkok Buddy says:

Just want to congratulate you on the anniversary of your whore and sex blog being taken offline.

42. Bangkok Buddy Fan #1 says:

The Real Bangkok Buddy would never say such a mean thing about anybody.

He is Buddhist and believes in live and let live.

That is why he is loved so many.

43. crickets says:

chiiiiirp, chiiiiiirp, chiiiirp, chiiiiiiirp, chiiiiirp, chiiiiiiiirp!!

44. crickets says:

Chiiiirp, chirp, chirp, Chiiiirp…..

45. crickets says:

chiiiirp!

46. tumbleweed says:

tumble?

47. crickets says:

huh? Woosh?

48. Pin dropping says:

Clank!!!!!!!

49. crickets says:

chirp!

50. crickets says:

chiiiiirp, chiiiiiirp, chiiiirp, chiiiiiiirp, chiiiiirp, chiiiiiiiirp!!
    chiiiiirp, chiiiiiirp, chiiiirp, chiiiiiiirp, chiiiiirp, chiiiiiiiirp!!

51. crickets says:

chiiiiirp, chiiiiiirp, chiiiirp, chiiiiiiirp, chiiiiirp, chiiiiiiiirp!!

52. PRUFROCK'S DAD! says:

IT’S THERE, IT’S STILL THERE! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY DOWN SOI 4, IT’S STILL THERE!

53. crickets says:

Still here, Still here, Still here … chiiiiirp, chiiiiiirp, chiiiirp, chiiiiiiirp, chiiiiirp, chiiiiiiiirp!!chiiiiirp, chiiiiiirp, chiiiirp, chiiiiiiirp, chiiiiirp, chiiiiiiiirp!!chiiiiirp, chiiiiiirp, chiiiirp, chiiiiiiirp, chiiiiirp, chiiiiiiiirp, chiiiiirp, chiiiiiirp, chiiiirp, chiiiiiiirp, chiiiiirp, chiiiiiiiirp!!

54. crickets says:

55. Still here, Still here, Still here, Still here, Still here, Still here, Still here, Still here, Still here, Still here, Still here, Still here, Still here, Still here, Still here, Still here, Still here, Still here, Still here, Still here, Still here

56. crickey says:

chiiiiirp, chiiiirp, chiiiirp, chiiiirp, chiiiirp, chiiiirp!! chiiiirp, chiiiirp, chiiiirp, chiiiirp, chiiiirp, chiiiiirp!!

57. Questions...? says:

What’s up with Kenny’s absolute lack of accuracy and honesty?

This pub’s still around and doing well, also.

[IMG]http://i49.tinypic.com/2rwoiyw.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/2q9guts.jpg[/IMG]

58. Shit on a Shingle says:

Kenny don’t care bout truth or accuracy. He’s too busy rating shit pies on his favorite website. What website is that?

59. Chortle says:

… and still, he’s not fixing his website.

LOL!

60. To Fix Or Not To Fix says:

Nor will he be fixing it.

61. Angry Crickets says:

chirp, chirp, chirp, chirp, chirp, chirp.chirp, chirp, chirp, chirp, chirp, chirp.chirp, chirp, chirp, chirp, chirp, chirp.chirp, chirp, chirp, chirp, chirp, chirp.chirp, chirp, chirp, chirp, chirp, chirp.chirp, chirp, chirp, chirp, chirp, chirp.chirp, chirp, chirp, chirp, chirp, chirp.chirp, chirp, chirp, chirp, chirp, chirp.chirp, chirp, chirp, chirp, chirp, chirp.chirp, chirp, chirp, chirp, chirp, chirp.chirp, chirp, chirp, chirp, chirp, chirp.chirp, chirp, chirp, chirp, chirp, chirp.chirp, chirp, chirp, chirp, chirp, chirp.chirp, chirp, chirp, chirp, chirp, chirp.

62. Purple Avenger says:

Purple collapse prediction fail!

63. Angry Crickets says:

Yep, not fixing it – still broken.

chirp, chirp, chirp, chirp, chirp, chirp.

64. Purple Avenger says:

Purple broken things!

65. Graham Jones Big Fat Liar says:

The Duke of Wellington is still open. Come on down for some good food and drink.

66. Graham Jones Big Fat Liar says:

Just like I promised. The remodel is complete and the NEW Duke Pub is open for business.

Turn onto Silom from Rama 4 and start walking until you see us on the left.

If it seems like you’ve walked a long way don’t worry. Just keep on walking. You can’t miss our neon.

555555555555